Increase daily activity by spending less time watching TV or at the computer. Try these simple ways to add light, moderate, or vigorous physical activities in your life every day:
- Walk around while you talk on the phone.
- If you have kids or grandkids, visit a zoo or a park with them.
- Take a walk through your neighborhood.
- When you watch TV, get up and walk around the room during commercials.
- Do chores, such as work in the garden or rake leaves, clean the house, or wash the car.
- Stretch out your chores. For example, make two trips to take the laundry downstairs instead of one.
- Park at the far end of the shopping center parking lot and walk to the store.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Stretch or walk around instead of taking a coffee break and eating.